Advising & Teaching
I co-supervise the following PhD students as part of the Public Interest AI Research Group at HIIG:
- Freya Hewett → Automatic (German) Text Simplification
- Judith Fassbender → Design Patterns for Public Interest AI
- Sami Nenno → Claim Spotting: the Role and Automation of Fact-Checking
Previously, I co-supervised Dr. René Mahieu. René succseffuly defened his dissertation on The Right of Access to Personal Data in the EU: A Legal and Empirical Analysis at Vrije Universiteit Brussel in 2023.
In Feb 2023, I guest lectured on Problems of Technology for Society at University Göttingen’s (part of the Bachelor of Data Science program).
In previous years, I taught the following technology policy courses (mostly at TU Delft):
- MOT1452—Inter- and Intra- Organizational Decision Making: 2016-2020 (course manager & main instructor) and 2012-2015 (TA)
- SEN1151—Law and Institutions: 2017-2019 (guest lecturer for privacy law)
- MOT2004—Preparation for Master Thesis: 2019-2020 (digital economy theme)
- SEN1311—CoSEM Research Challenges: 2018 (privacy engingeering theme)
- EPA1101—International Grand Challenges: 2017 (privacy governance theme)
- MOT1003—Integration Moment: 2017-2018 (guest lecturer for IT policy)
- TB321IA—Governance Specialization ICT: 2012-2015 and 2017-2018 (guest lecturer for internet gov.)
- SPM5440—Cyber Security Essentials: 2013 (guest lecturer for security economics)
I have also taught at the following summer schools:
- MEAC Summer School on Internet Governance (organized by RIPE, ISOC, ICANN, and others): 2018 (Cairo) and 2019 (Rabat)
- Interdisciplinary Summer School on Privacy (organized by Radboud University and others): 2017
Between 2013 and 2020, I supervised the following multi-disciplinary master thesis projects relating to technology policy topics (as first supervisor):
Last Update: Jun 2023.